What is Lasik Surgery ?
Lasik stands for laser-in-situ keratomileusis, which is a popular surgery that can correct vision in people who are nearsighted, farsighted or who have astigmatism. This surgery helps by reshaping the cornea, the clear front part of the eye so that light focuses on the retina in the back of the eye. The three eye issues where Lasik can be operated are :
- Nearsightedness: You can see things which are close to you and things which are far are blurry.
- Farsightedness: You can see things which are far very clearly but things which are near seem to be blurry.
- Astigmatism: This can make everything blurry because of the shape of the eye.
Impact of vision problems on employees
If issues related to the eye are left unchecked for a long time, failing vision can lead to serious workplace accidents and permanent damage to the eye may occur. The importance of eye care is often neglected by employees which leads to many diseases or conditions of the eye – such as cataracts, disorders affecting the retina, dry eyes, and uncorrected refractive conditions. These conditions may have an impact on employee productivity and also on well-being. So, there is much that employers can do to maintain an eye-friendly working environment and promote eye health among employees.
Am I a good candidate for LASIK?
A successful Lasik procedure is determined by meeting certain patient criteria. Here are a few things to be met, if you are going for Lasik surgery.
- Your eyes must be healthy
- Your cornea must have sufficient thickness
- Your vision must be stable
- Your health must be in good condition.
- If you’re pregnant, you should delay this surgery.
- Having eye conditions such as glaucoma or very dry eyes are not suitable for Lasik
- Health issues like diabetes, lupus, or rheumatoid arthritis are also not favorable.
- Your age should be suitable
Consult an eye-surgeon and he will suggest if Lasik surgery is right for you or not. If Lasik surgery does not suit you, definitely he will suggest another alternative.
How can LASIK surgery benefit employees?
- Lasik surgery corrects vision and 96% of Lasik surgeries are successful. Patients are able to have their desired vision after Lasik.
- Usually, Lasik surgeries cause very little pain when compared with other eye surgeries.
- Immediately the day after surgery is done, vision is corrected.
- No bandages or stitches are required after Lasik which makes employees do their work easily.
- If you come across any vision problems post Lasik surgery is done, adjustments can be made even after years.
- Many employees no longer need glasses or contact lenses, after a Lasik surgery is done.
These benefits will definitely help employees to lead a normal life even after the surgery. So, make sure that you are in the right hands before opting for Lasik surgery.